After the quake:*

The tremors and aftershocks were on and all of us wanted to help in our own ways. The ones who were residing abroad for their studies, work were helpless to unite with their families as much as people in Nepal. We could not see our city in tragedy as we wanted to rise with it. We had no idea how we could be of help but each one wanted to lend a hand.

The news channels were showing devastation and damages everywhere that it was hard to believe that the monuments and the heritage sites were no more. The places that we grew with were not the same. Basantpur Durbar Square was in a bad shape, so was Bhaktapur Durbar Square and Patan Durbar Square. We heard about Swayambhunath, Boudhha and other stupas which were badly damaged but the exact was not known. It was sad to hear that many people lost their lives at churches as the earthquake happened during the mass time.

The outskirts of the area was unimaginable when we saw the villages were washed away because of the earthquake and people had lost everything that they had built. Some could not make it out of their homes on time and got buried under their house while the others were lucky to be alive but with nothing remaining. Many temples in the UNESCO heritage site were in rubble and people were being rescued. The rescue teams from different counties were being sent but the coordination was not being done. Some groups were sent back because they did not know where to go and no directions were given to them. It was really sad to see relief groups leave our country during situations like these. The mismanagement and we not being prepared for a disaster like these made it worse. It was a chaotic situation at the airport where the tourists were stuck because of the delay in flights. Since the runway of the airport was functioning well and the highways were open, it was not that difficult for people to travel.

Each one of us was tired with the tremors. We were physically, mentally drained out. The moment we settled there was another aftershock. The only option was to stay strong and see around if we could help our people. The days were passing very fast but without doing anything. The nervousness did not lessen as three days were over.

We were confused on how we could start helping people, where should we begin, should we be collecting funds, or should we be assessing the situation. We decided on taking a check to the places we had been involved in with The KTM Drive. We went to the orphanages, old age home, and disabled centres for kids, Deepa’s house to see if everything was fine. We reached her house which was evacuated and the school that Sabina was going to was destroyed.

The situation was worst when we saw on the outside. People were in tents at the open spaces, mass cremation was happening; thousands of people were waiting in line to catch a bus and leave Kathmandu. The city was in grief while there were some groups who had already started doing their bit for the community that they were staying at. The campaigns had started as it was the need of the hour. While many groups were cleaning places, the others were giving information on water and sanitation to the needful. We needed to spread awareness to the majority on the precautions to be followed. In case safety measures were avoided the chances of diseases spreading were at a higher ratio.

We got back home with the understanding that it was more important to give out food supplies and relief materials on the outskirts concentrating on one area. We did not have a strategy or plan but we knew we had to aid the most we could. This incident also reminded us that the catastrophe could have been on the day when we had taken kids on a trip to zoo, museum or say any other event of The Ktm Drive where we were on the close space. We believe that the destiny is written and surpassing death is just not possible. Having said that we could have been one of many beneath the ruins, but luckily we got another life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *