Day 1:- Delay at Pathankot

We reached our destination exactly on time; and our train journey of ten hours passed in a IMG_20150920_071046jiffy. We had booked a Tavera for next 4 days, and as we got out of the station, we could not locate the driver or the car. After constant follow up and wait of half an hour, our chauffeur arrived. He wasn’t apologetic on being late; neither did he give us a valid reason. We weren’t pleased with his behavior and knew that we needed to get a solution soon. The way he spoke wasn’t welcoming. Being from this part of the world where everyone is soft spoken and hospitable, it felt a little strange.

As we got ourselves at the nearby hotel for breakfast, we made our itinerary for the day.  We were to wait for our cousins for a couple of hours as there train delayed. If you haven’t heard of Pathankot, it is the army and air force station for the defence of India. After the partition if India, many refugees came from newly formed Pakistan and settled in Pathankot. It is relatively smaller town and there is nothing much to do. We went to the nearby mall to spend time, where our last resort was watching a movie. The movie was super annoying and I wanted to blame myself for getting my parents to watch this one, especially when they hardly watch movies.

After we were done with two hours of nuisance, we headed towards the station to pick our cousins up. On my way I met this person who was from Rasuwa, Nepal and was working at the mall. He had so many stories to share, and told me that lot of Nepalese work this side. He mentioned that they work on double duties to earn more and also when I asked him if he likes it here. He replied by saying: “I don’t enjoy my life so much because I miss my family but this place has stability to survive”. I thought to myself and his words gave me a reality check on how hard it is for families to live in Nepal. The salaries for the skilled and unskilled manpower are the same, which is one of the reasons for people to leave the country. He was really sweet and asked me if we needed something, he would arrange. This character of ours sets us special and I realized that each place and people is different. The tone of residents and locals on the Himachal side was loud, so I figured that everyone was impolite.

With lot of thoughts still running, I was happy to receive my cousins, and we left for Dalhousie. The way to Dalhousie is full of twists and turns. There are local buses which depart from Pathankot in the interval of 3-4 hours. On our way we crossed a dam and as we passed the hills around we knew we were in for a treat.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *